1999 Honda Accord aircon

Hi,

I appear to have a problem with the electronics in my aircon/climate system.

The car is a 1999 Accord SE Exec Auto with full auto climate control.

Everything works, but the compressor won't fire up. All the sensors check out and the compressor can be made to work, it appears the signal is not being sent to it to fire it up.

The bloke who looked at it was stunned - he's never known Honda electronics to go wrong.

Conclusion is that the dashboard unit may be the problem, as it refused to display any error codes, when the requisite buttons were pressed.

The other *remote* possibility is the ECU...

Does anyone know of anything that may shed some light?

Obviously, I would prefer to avoid going to a dealer, because the prices are astronomical.....and my local dealer is as helpful as a very unhelpful thing.

TIA

Reply to
Fr Jack

Check the simple things first- have an a/c man check the R134a charge- if its never been topped up or has sprung a leak, its not firing the compressor becuase the low pressure safety switch has opened!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the reply.

The gas was recharged - the guy (same one who has followed up with the electronics checks) said it was a bit low - but I doubt if the previous owner ever had the aircon serviced.

As I said, though, everything electrical checked out - and the 2 possibilities seemed to be the ones.

A reason he was thinking of the dashboard control unit, was that he couldn't get it to show the fault codes, when he pressed the appropriate buttons. I suspect it too, as there seems to be an intermittent illumination problem with the clock, which is solved with the ancient method of gentle percussion (tapping it).

I'll give him a bell during the week.

Is it possible for the low pressure switch to stick open, even after a regas?

{just back from a few daze in France with no aircon - and it was hotter there!}

Reply to
Fr Jack