1999 Mazda 323 1.8 timing belt

At the start of this year I was thinking about timing belts since I had my Toyota's belt changed 6 months earlier (interval on my car is 5 years or 60K miles - I had it changed at 5 years with 29K miles) - the owners manual for the Mazda 323 just had 60K miles but no mention of age. The car at this point had done 40K miles and was nearly 5½ years old.

We rang the dealer to ask when this should be done as it wasn't done at the previous service (6 months earlier) - they said it was due to get changed at the next service (6 months later). I was concerned however and I booked it in to get it done - it got done end of January.

Now... The wife's car died on Friday, pulling away in queued traffic. When attempting to restart it, it just makes a whinging/spinning noise. It got towed away, mechanic reckons it's the timing belt or tensioner, that's what I initially thought but I discarded that reason because it had been changed.

So, this belt (or tensioner) seems to have lasted under 4 months and about

4000 miles. Lot's of searching on the internet seems to point at the engine being a non-interference type (no valve damage should occur).

Even just the replacement of the belt (mostly labour) is around £250-£300 - assuming no engine damage.

I've no idea if the tensioner was replaced at the same time as the belt. Nor do I know as of yet whether it's the belt or tensioner that has failed (should find out on Tuesday).

Now, who should foot the bill?????

(if belt failed) I can see the dealer spouting that the belt was fitted correctly and has been fine for nearly 4 months. (if tensioner failed) I can see the dealer spouting that it's common for the tensioner to fail (when I had my Toyota's belt changed - the (different) dealer handed my car back to me with the tensioner broke, then tried to charge me £100 for a new one. They eventually sorted it for free - but even then I was told that it's common for old tensioners to fail on new belts - WTF wasn't the tensioner replaced as a matter of course then?).

Reply to
Johnny

belt replacement on these is due between 54000 and 60000. The job is listed at 1.8 hours labour plus parts. In the event of breakage there is a very high probability of engine damage.

To break so soon after replacement points to something being done wrong by the garage.

As to your chances of proof and getting it done I would not like to say.

See what the garage say and hope.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

IANAL

However I did used to be a Ford Mechanic. What used to happen there is if the timing belt snapped within a year of being fitted and all service schedules had been adhered to then the customer would be billed for the damage & a claim would then be made against Ford Warranty on the replacement belt & costs for replacement belts. This if I remember did not include cost of damage caused i.e valves, pistons or other damage.

I would have thought most manufactures dealers would do the same thing provided you ask them. Do not expect them to just do this for you.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
<spam