2.2 DTI Astra - rev counter fails to work, engine runs very rough, ecu light on, water light on... ideas please

I've got a 2001 DTI Astra which currently isn't doing too well.... when I'm driving along with no warning the engine warning light will illuminate together with the water light (plenty of water in the cooling tank so not that obvious :( ) and the rev counter will stop working. If I lift my foot of the gas the engine runs very rough as though it is being starved of fuel. After a while the fault will clear itself and the engine goes back to being its normal self. (This has happened both while driving and when I've left the car for a couple of hours).

Anyone got any ideas I can check before I take it in? (Money is very tight so if there is any thing I can easily check I'd rather do that).

TIA,

Richard.

Reply to
arimus.uk

first thing to check is the alternator output

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, where is the best place to check the alt output from as I can't see an easy way to get to the terminals...

Also what values should I be looking for (assume 12v, what ampage?)

TIA,

Richard.

Reply to
arimus.uk