2 front tyres out of shape!!! how?

Garage just told me this was the reason car was rattling badly at

65mph !!!

How'd they get out of shape? They're both fairly new tyres (2 months)....

Manufacturing fault? Should I go back to the tyre dealer with this?

Reply to
paulfoel

Swap them to the rear to see if the rattling stops or changes if the garage hasn't already tried this. If they do prove to be the cause of the problem, then go back to the tyre dealer, who will probably want to try balancing them.

If the tyre dealer agrees they may be faulty, you will probably have to pay for two new ones. The faulty ones will be returned to the manufacturer to be checked. If the manufacturer agrees they are faulty, you will get a cheque for the estimated amount of wear left.

Don't hold you breath! I did this once and it took weeks to get a relatively trivial amount of money back.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep, if they're out of round it's very visible on a balancing machine. (They can be out of round & balanced though, don't just let them rebalance them)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Seriously ????

Seems a bit unfair. I would have thought if the tyres are deemed out of shape in such a short time they should be replaced no questions asked......

Buggered if I'm going to shell out for new ones first only to find out the manufacturer tries to fob me off anyway....

Cant believe they knock off money for the wear.

What about all the hassle I've had driving around trying to work out whats wrong ???

Reply to
paulfoel

Has the car been left unused and not moved for a few weeks? I've had deformed tyres that won't balance when buying an unloved car that hasn't been used for a while.

Reply to
SteveB

Yes absolutely and you should be expecting this.

It is only fair. If the tyres have barely turned over you can expect 100%. If you typically drive 50,000 aggressive miles a year, after two months they may be down to 2.5 mm anyway, if you see what I mean.

You can put a claim in for that too.

Reply to
DervMan

My experience was that the dealer, perhaps rightly, said that he was unable to diagnose whether the faulty tyre had a manufacturing fault, or had been damaged in use. It needed expert assessment.

Good luck with that...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The very best of luck, really. :o)

Reply to
DervMan

Either they've gone out of balance which is easy to do or you're smacking speed humps too quickly.

Reply to
Conor

Out of shape, or just out of balance? Did you go for a long skid and flat-spot the tread?

Unless you were shown sound evidence, I'd get a second independent opinion. And I'd certainly get an opinion from the selling tyre dealer, showing a calm but firm expectation that the problem be fixed without charge. If their customers are having problems, they need to be aware of this at the very least.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

On 13 Mar 2007 09:32:34 -0700, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of paulfoel:

Perhaps they're too tyred...

Reply to
Alex Buell

Depends on your dealer, the manufacturers normally fine, the dealers often defensive.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What make were they?

Reply to