2000 Focus 1.8 Petrol Starting Idle

Hi,

Lately, my Focus has started needing me to pump the accelerator when starting from cold. It starts, but unless I keep pumping it dies on me. If I keep pumping and keep it alive, it eventually revs as required and everything is OK. If anything, it's harder to start it in the garage than in the cold outside.

Is that a pump problem, an ISCV problem or something else?

TIA,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Lots of possibles !!

Has it got the right oil in it? I assume it is a petrol focus? If it shows its correct temp when warmed up then the first things I would check is air leaks, plugs, leads and coil pack. The reasoning being that an extra rich mixture (caused by the throttle pumping) needs far less spark to fire than a weaker mixture. If there is a temp gauge problem then check that the coolant temp sensor and connector is ok. If the idle is correct and self corrects with loading when the engine is warmed up then the iscv is probably ok. If the pump was failing it would likely not go at all, is the fuel filter recent?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks Mrcheerful.

Apologies for the delayed answer.

Yesterday I never managed to get it to idle from cold. I got it to the garage (it would stall between gears unless kept alive) who have just replaced the ISCV ("sooted and doesn't spring back") and think they have fixed it. £120.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Thanks Mrcheerful.

Apologies for the delayed answer.

Yesterday I never managed to get it to idle from cold. I got it to the garage (it would stall between gears unless kept alive) who have just replaced the ISCV ("sooted and doesn't spring back") and think they have fixed it. £120.

Kostas

Glad to hear it.

MrCheerful

Reply to