2000 Mk 2 Punto 1.2 Petrol - doing head

Not often I resort to asking for help but this is doing my head.....! Owner got stuck in flood water yesterday, driving through the car cut out, but restarted fine as it was hot and they drove the remaining half mile or so home without incident (other than the heater/cig lighter fuse had blown - but that happened once before - replaced and all is working ok).

Car starts and runs fine, doesn't miss a beat but then will cut out as if someone has disconnected the ignition. It happens whether the car is cold or hot, sometimes will restart immediately and run fine, other times it will refuse to fire, but if left for ten seconds it then starts first time....

I've sat with it this afternoon for a couple of hours. Started from cold, drove it approx quarter of mile and while waiting at a junction to turn right (into the drive), it just cut out. Started first time, drove it up the drive (400 yds steep hill) no probs. Generally it cuts out at idle, cold or hot, but once it did it at 3000rpm (but started first turn after).

No water was sucked in, and it's clearly not a fuel issue. My current thought is a possible problem with the cat/sensor from cold water shock

I've checked/cleaned every electrical connection under the bonnet, but to no avail.

Another thought, there must be an immobiliser fitted as you see a yellow key symbol with the word "code" on the dash when you turn the ignition on - could it be an issue with that? If so, where is it?

Cheers for any suggestions or experiences! D.

Reply to
Daz

Sounds like a faulty sensor, not the o2, something like the cam or tdc. You'll be wanting the fault code reader.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Check the ECU isnt sat in a puddle of water!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Turned out to be some magnetic cr*p stuck to the TDC sensor on the flywheel! Cleaned, and been ran for over an hour without probs.... How stupid is that???? Cheers DW! Thanks for the help....

Reply to
Daz