2000 Primera battery replacement

Hi all, if i disconnect the battery on a 2000/W Nissan Primera 2.0SE CVT, will i need to reprogram the alarm/remote locking keyfobs? My own cars are older and both have after-market alarms that do need reprogramming if the battery is disconnected, but i suspect that this might not be the case on a newer car with factory supplied remote locking/alarm.

TIA...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

Don't disconnect power completely and there will be no problem, car shops sell a gizmo with a nine volt battery that keeps everything live for a short time, or just make your own up using some crocodile clips and wire. Or get a kwik fit type place to fit the battery for you, they will have one (check first though !)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Oh yeah, that's an idea, thanks.

I have visions of connected up a little PP3 and then having it explode as the car battery pumps 12V through it at a huge amount of Amps :)

Good point, but i'd rather do it myself - cheaper too if i source the battery from Costco or a local factor (or some of the online suppliers

- i was surprised how many of those there are having just had a browse

- e.g.

I just wondered if modern cars remember their alarm/immobiliser/central locking keyfobs. I suspect they do, but just wanted to make sure before disconnecting anything. The Nissan handbook doesn't seem to mention it from the quick glance i had of it - anything other than checking the electrolyte level is a take-it-to-the-dealer job!

...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

Costco fit them for a pound or so

I meant you could use crocodile clips and the new battery to ensure continuous power.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'd still prefer to fit it myself!

Doh! now i see what you mean. An excellent simple-but-effective idea. I'll definately remember that one for the future, thanks.

...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner