2001 Cavalier

My daughter owns a 2001 Cavalier. Occasionally she will go out in the morning to start the car. The engine turns over (will crank fine) but will not start. Twice she had it towed to a garage and they could find nothing wrong. It started right up for them both times.

On another occasion it would not start. She went back into the apartment, showered, ate breakfast and tried to start it again. It started right up.

Fuel filter and air filter have been changed. Throttle body has been cleaned. The last time it was towed to a garage the mechanic said there were no codes registering.

Any ideas or suggesting to keep this thing running will be appreciated.

A thousand pardons if I have posted to the wrong newsgroup. If there are any other appropriate newsgroups please let me know.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
TWhite8611

Hmm , intermittent absolute faults are always a bugger, If no codes are stored then atsrt by checking the battery lead connections & the plugs to the ECU's & crank sensor.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Are you sure?

Reply to
Dan405

Did they still make Cavaliers in 2001? I thought they were all called Vectras by then.

David.

Reply to
Roy Linley

I suspect you need a group for a different country, however. I have sometimes found that non starting on a newly owned vehicle is a driver problem. Many people unconsciously press the accelerator when trying to start a car, some cars will not start with the pedal pressed. Try that.

Second port of call would be the battery, make sure it is either perfect or new.

Immobiliser faults are responsible for many breakdowns nowadays.

If the non starting occurs in an area of high RF from phone masts etc. this can cause non starting, move the car away by towing and it is out of range of the interference.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Fuel pump relay

Reply to
JK

Really? GM stopped selling a model called a Cavalier in the UK in

1995, IIRC.

I'm guessing that you're talking about a US Chevrolet Cavalier?

If so, you'll have limited luck in this UK newsgroup. Try alt.autos.gm

If the car is actually a UK 2001 Vauxhall Vectra, then let us know!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

The clue is in 'apartment' and 'ate breakfast' ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess I should have mentioned that I am NOT in the UK. I am in the States. I could find no other newsgroup that came even close to the subject so I posted to this one.

Thanks.

Tim

Reply to
TWhite8611

Seconded. Don't touch the accelerator (sorry, gas pedal) when starting.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot

TWhite8611 ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

GM don't sell Chevrolets in the UK, so it's unlikely anybody here has seen one other than in passing on holiday.

alt.autos.gm rec.autos.misc rec.autos.tech

Reply to
Adrian

I ate breakfast this morning too.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@azuredistance.nospam.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, damn - That explains why I've been feeling a bit peckish all day. I didn't.

Reply to
Adrian

Good for you. But most in the UK say 'had' breakfast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yours I think then will be a chevvy cavalier - which is a quite different vehicle to the UK car I think (having (nearly) hired one in Canada a while back)

Reply to
Richard Murphy

You need to look harder.

Reply to
Lordy

& if that doesn't work then press it! I often find a random pressing/lifting of the accelerator is the best way to start an unwilling car. ...but we're talking old bangers here not 21st century models!
Reply to
adder