2002 Mondeo LX

My Mondeo makes a terrific thumping noise at the rear when slowly reversing on full lock and coming to rest. It is a noise like a spring winding up and then releasing with a 'boing' sound.

The handling is other wise perfect and it only happens on the left hand down lock.

Anybody got any ideas?

Reply to
Merryterry

Get the rear subframe bushes checked. They're a common failure point. You can get polyurethane replacements off Ebay for about £40 and it's an hour a side labour to fit. You can also get new subframes for under £130. Ford dealers charge around £300 for the job and they just glue in new rubber ones.

Reply to
Conor

makes a terrific thumping noise at the rear when slowly

Many thanks for suggestion. They were replaced by Ford Main Dealer about 25K ago.

Would they have gone again?

Reply to
Merryterry

makes a terrific thumping noise at the rear when slowly

I doubt it. I'd be looking around the front struts to see what's going on.

Reply to
Pete M

Seconded in light of the above. Could be a snapped spring or seized strut top bearing.

Reply to
Conor

Check for a broken spring right next to where it seats on the support. The rust line is more visible than the crack!

Reply to
Duncan Wood