2003 Clio 1500 DCI Turbo Problem

I have a Clio 1500 DCI 2003. Recently the turbo has been failing to kick in leaving the engine really dead. This happens intermittently. It will kick in eventually if I can get it above 3000RPM. I can also clear the problem if I switch off the engine but it can return at anytime without warning. Any ideas?

Reply to
Damien

That certainly doesn't sound like a turbo fault at all, more like an ECU or sensor problem. It'll need plugging into a diagnostic computer to isolate the cause. A turbo fault is unlikely to be cleared by switching off and back on again.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

That depends. There's a common problem that can afflict VAG engines with a VGT (VNT) turbo, that can be temporarily cleared by shutting off the ignition.

If the VNT sticks, switching off the ignition clears it up for a while.

I have no idea if this is the case with this Clio engine though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Just had a similar thing happen on my DCi 100 clio probably unrelated but the plastic pipe from intercooler to inlet manifold "broke" in half on a plastic welded joint resulting in bugger all power drives like a 1.2 petrol. A new hose costs 114 quid plus vat from Renault, various attempts to fix using duct tape have failed, reckon i will have to find some rubber pipe of the right diameter and splice it all together with jubilee clips.

Dilbert

Reply to
Dilbert