2003 Connect. Intermittent wipers coming on randomly on off?

It should be on all my posts Chris (straight email addy). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, now that's a point I failed to grasp from your earlier. It ties in with my thoughts though - since these functions are usually done by just dragging lines down low in the switches I wonder it it's a control line that's just not being pulled high hard enough and a little damp somewhere is dragging the line low enough for the BCU to think it's being triggered.

Reply to
Scott M

Probably my fault. It's quite difficult to describe a fault that (so far) appears to occur intermittently that shows itself as the wipers coming on in the intermittent mode when they are supposed to be off (yet work correctly when actually switched to intermittent, slow or fast or even the 'one shot' positions). ;-)

Yup, if that's how this van works then that sounds entirely plausible. Now, I think I've also read of the voltage control in the instrument cluster can go wobbly and therefore could that effect what-whatever_it_is that controls the wipers re what voltage it considers a high?

Daughter just cam in and I was asking her about it further. She said, that if the intermittent wiper comes on when she first starts the van in the morning there is a good chance it will stay on all day, irrespective of how many times she starts and stops. They do still respond to the stalk so if it actually starts raining, putting it on intermittent when it's isn't playing up, works fine. She also thinks it will *sometimes* go back off when turned back to off.

I could be chafing wire (intermittently going to earth) between the stalk and the electronics, if a 'pulled low' input is considered 'active'?

Or, it could be like the Meriva ECU and have intermittent connections between it and the loom, making for all sorts of strange symptoms.

If only my eyes were good and I had a real wiring diagram for the van (rather that the modularised things you now seem to get in the HBOL) I might be able to follow it all logically (as long as it isn't a bus etc) and pin down what might be going on (especially as the fault appears to be fairly consistent when it happens).

If I can put the Forscan software and hardware on it tomorrow and it actually works I might be able to see if *it* thinks there is anything funny going on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Unexpected operation of the wipers at first start may be a symptom of a weak battery. Might be worth seeing what the voltage drops to during first start up.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Just to be sure here, the 'unexpected operation' of the wipers at startup is just them starting in the intermittent mode, even if off and possibly still doing so from the previous day.

Will do MrC. When she bought the van there was a new / spare battery in the back the PO had bought last winter because the van failed to start one day. He jump started it and it started ok again from then on with the original batter so concluded he had just left the light on in the load space. When we got the van we did the same thing because I think there is some (intermittency in one of the courtesy light switches) so I charged and capacity tested both batteries before fitting the new one.

I think they were both supposed to be ~70 Ah and the 'new' (Yuasa) was around that but the old one nearer 30 Ah.

So, whilst the 'new' battery is about a year old and there seems to be no hesitation in starting, even from cold, I will stick the DMM on it and check the cranking voltage (if I can spot it quick enough). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m