2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - not starting, immobiliser?

Does anyone have any bright ideas on the causes of a JGC refusing to start? My wife is "some distance away" and has told me that when she got back to the car the battery was flat. She got a jump start but the engine turns over and refuses to fire. Breakdown club have suggested immobiliser problem.

Are Jeeps known for this, I can see lots of whining in forums about immobiliser problems for pre-2000 Jeeps. Consensus seems to be that locking the doors, waiting for 10 -20 minutes then re-opening should fix the problem. Sadly dealing with panicking woman isn't helping things.

I have the suspicion that she didn't lock it properly, the alarm has been sounding until the battery went flat and that she got back just as the battery was expiring. She then seems to have sat there turning it over until the engine died. Difficult to tell, story isn't coherent in the slightest since all parts of a car are much the same to her. It either works or it doesn't work as far as she is concerned. So far she's blamed the seats (she lowered the seats to load shopping) and the service indicator light on the trip computer.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's doing the honourable thing? Ideally it would self immolate but perhaps that's too much to ask.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+