2003 Renaul Clio ignition - would anyone know the current?

Hi,

I have stupidly lost a set of car keys possibly right outside my front door. I am worried someone may steal the car using the keys. If I replace the immobiliser and two keys it would be expensive, so instead I am planning to cut one of the wires from the ignition and run it through a small switch so the car will not start without the switch flipped. The switch will be under the steering colum out of view. Does anyone know the likely current that would be be going through the ignition so I can buy an appropriate switch which will not melt?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Reply to
jakester

Don't know how Renault do it but I think you may be able simply to reprogram the car's ECU so that it no longer recognises the lost key. You can certainly do that with Fords.

I wouldn't start cutting wires and putting switches in critical circuits if I were you.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Check the fuse rating and buy a switch the same.

Reply to
adder1969