2004 Megane headlights staying on!

I have a 2004 Megane.

The headlights, or more correctly the main beam seems to come on randomly when the car is parked with the keys out.

At the same time the indicators also show a fault, with no left indicator.

I've tried cleaning the light switch on the stalk with wd40, that did seem to work initially, but the fault reoccurred latter. This may have been coincidental.

I have to disconnect the battery when not using the car to save the bettery. I did this last night.

When I came to use the car this morning, after reconnecting the battery, the fault had gone - only for the fault to reappear a couple of hours later, whist the car had been parked.

Very odd.

Reply to
Hiram

the car is parked with the keys out.

work initially, but the fault reoccurred latter. This may have been coincidental.

did this last night.

fault had gone - only for the fault to reappear a couple of hours later, whist the car had been parked.

Faulty relay?

Reply to
newshound
[...]

Not of direct help to you, but for future reference it is not a good idea to use WD40 on electrical contacts. It is primarily a (W)ater (D)ispersant, and hence oily. It may create more problems than it solves.

To clean electrical contacts, use an electrical contact cleaner such as Servisol 10.

Not really; it's a Megane... ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I must admit, that did cross my mind. I was having a look earlier today. There are two near the fusebox inside the car, is one of those likely to be the headlight one. These relays seem a bit hard to get too - but I can just get my hand in the recess. Do they pull out of the socket?

TIA

Reply to
Hiram

Thanks - I will get some...

Reply to
Hiram

the headlight one.

recess. Do they pull out of the socket?

Probably; but I havn't had a French car for at least 15 years, and that was ten years old. Hopefully someone else will know!

Reply to
newshound

I believe that this model has a CPU that controls lots of things including lights, and if you have discharge lights then even more complication. other than checking all connections and earth points and inspecting for water ingress there is probably not really a lot you can do except ask an expert to look.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Does it have a 'path lighting' function when you lock the car - to find your way to the house etc in the dark?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, that kinda makes sense. I'm now noticing odd behavior with the lights= .

I disconnected the battery last night and low and behold, this morning, onc= e I'd put the battery back on, the car is fine. Well, almost - with engine= off, flashing the high beam make the main beam come on and stay on. Once = the engine starts, everything is fine, and the main beam goes off.

It has rained heavy up here in the north east, and it was only a day or so = since these symptoms started.

I think the nest thing is to check for water ingress... Is is going to be = ok to stray wd40 on the the fuse box under the bonnet - or should I use som= ething else? =20

TIA

Reply to
Hiram

Not as far as I know. It not my car, its the girlfriends car, she only had it about 8 months - but never noticed that feature.

Reply to
Hiram

wd40 is made to displace moisture, so it should be fine. I expect that removing the battery connection is doing the equivalent of a hard reset and curing the problem for a while. Finding the cpu that controls everything might be the answer, if it is getting wet it could easily cause these faults, some vehicles are well known for water on the cpu, such as audi: after windscreen replacement (badly done) water dribbles down the bulkhead straight into the main lump with the millions of wires.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeah, it does have the feel of a PC problem. It is almost as if the car is powered by windows 95, and restarting solves the problem.

Reply to
Hiram