2004 Nissan Almera 1.8SXE queries

I bought this car used and have the following, trivial queries:

- The (puny) interior light usually needs a tap to light when the doors open; not possible when first putting the kids at the back, as you do. :-) Is there a way to cure this?

- Nice alloys (to the eye of this beholder), but I am not convinced about the big fat tyres, their potential performance in the wet, nor their 100-quid a corner price. I am not sure if it's them to blame (surely someone will confirm this) but on acceleration they have the tendency to follow road blemishes. I never had this with my 1.8 Focus LX, and I have always had the lead implant on my right foot. :-) Were all 1.8s sold with the big fat tyres, and if not, is it a Good Idea to source the original steel rims and use tyres to the manufacturers specification? I am not into modifications.

- The 6-speaker sound system really lacks bass, even with bass at the maximum setting and loudness on. That's compared to my 2000 Focus LX, which is not renowned the world over for its sound system. Has anybody successfully upgraded this sound system? Is it the speakers, the unit or both that are to blame? I am not interested in visible modifications, or the addition of subwoofers etc; just wondering if "better" speakers or a "better" hideaway unit that fits in the existing housings would work.

Thanks in advance for any answers and apologies for my long post,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Back to back the wider tyres where more pleasant to drive, check the suspension bushes aren't knackered & the toe in's correct

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Under the seat subs are cheap & easy, the blaupunkt ones even sound reasonable if you don't want the whole bling thing.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Reply to
Tommy

Yes, thanks for the idea.

But is it *that* hard to fix?

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Can't see how this can be the case, what with them being 55 profile (nor how it's more pleasant to wear fat tyres in the wet) but I will take your word for it. Still, they are an esoteric dimension (my local Costco needs to order them in) and cost a lot.

Thanks. What are the symptoms of incorrect toe-in?

Thanks also for the recommendation to add subwoofers; I am extremely unkeen on adding wires. I did all that in my youth, but then my car was 24 years young, not 4 :-)

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

I've always found the normal ones never convinced me the car was going to go where I pointed it.

Too little is vague, too much is twitchy.

WEll you can upgrade the speakers, but even if you pay soeone to do it the subwoofers are cheaper.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks Duncan!

Kostas