2005 Fiesta Oil Light

My daughter has just had a 2005 Fiesta delivered by a driver from the auction house. When he arrived, he cheerfully told us that the oil light had come on whilst he was driving, but he just kept going anyway - about

50 miles.

Does anyone know whether the Fiesta oil light means 'Stop now, by the roadside' or 'Time to top up the oil when you get a chance fairly soon'? In other words has the driver wrecked the engine?

Reply to
GB

if the oil light is correctly saying there is no oil pressure then the chances of the engine being OK are zero. If it is a faulty switch and there is really plenty of oil and it is getting pumped round then obviously it is a totally different story.

If it ran out of oil while driving then it would not have managed 5 miles, let alone fifty.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I checked the oil - there's plenty - and dared to start the engine. I notice that there is zero petrol, the fuel light is on, and the oil lamp is not illuminated. So, I think it was probably misreported by the driver. What a mistake for a professional driver to make, though. Anyway, panic over! And, thanks for the advice.

Reply to
GB

You can't blame the driver for misinterpreting the warning lights, he probably has to drive hundreds of different cars and can't be expected to know everything. He probably didn't know where the dipstick was anyway to check the oil. If there was no oil or pressure there would have been some funny noises coming from the engine and most likely would not have lasted 50 miles.

Glad to see a good outcome tho.

Reply to
Rob

This particular low petrol indicator has a rather snazzy, and unmistakeable, picture of a petrol pump on it. :-)

I most certainly would have blamed the auction house if their driver had driven the car without oil in. It's basic enough, after all. His job is to get the car to its destination safely, that's safely for the car as well as for the driver.

Reply to
GB

I would have in fact had the driver give you a written report or noted what happened on the delivery docket. That's for sure.

Reply to
Rob

I'm inclined to share GB's opinion about where the dipstick was.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

If indeed there actually had been zero oil pressure for whatever reason, the engine would've lasted maybe acouple of miles if he was lucky.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..