2007 Passat ECU fault

Oh dear, it appears that the engine starting for a second or two, then stopping & saying 'engine fault garage' is either the Instrument pack (£350) or the ECU (£960) place bets as to which one...

Reply to
Nige

In article , Nige scribeth thus

Well ECU testing, their on the web, do repairs and re-conned ones,. Used one for the old Volvo 850 last year worked fine and a Lot less then the makers parts;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Got VAGCOM and a code?

Sounds like the immobiliser behaviour on my TT when the instrument pack was lala and would block the engine start till you disconnected/reconnected the battery.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think it's something similar, the codes (at work) gave imob issues, but the proper VAG code says the ECU is goosed.

Not really bothered, as it's a company car with 125k on it & It's getting replaced in January, i have another car if i am desperate.

Bit of a bugger, as it has been a great car & has took some serious punishment with only minor issues.

Reply to
Nige

I had my instrument pack redone by someone like this lot (it wasn't them but similar):

about half of £350 IIRC. Doubt you'll get it back much before January.

Not sure I've seen a VAG code for 'ECU goosed'. VAGCOM is usually rather more helpful.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

hehe - the ecu & instrument cluster are linked to provide 'insert, verify & start' signals, but the key must have some kind of say in the starting system in my mind?

Doubt the key would be to blame, mainly as it's a year old from the dealer, never been dropped (by me) & has worked fine for a while, but you never know.

Tell you one thing, my 2001 Allroad is so much better built than newer VAG products, i mean it has it's issues, but the actual build quality is fantastic. Bastard thing just sprang a leak from a hose, but it will cost me £25 to fix it!

Ho-hum.

Reply to
Nige

From my experience with factory immobilisers, the key part is fairly passive and quite well shielded from shock. There is an aerial at the keyhole that reads the key when it is inserted, iffy wiring, or chafing from adjustment of the steering wheel can be to blame but does a 2007 Passat still have a key with a blade or is it one of the puck things you insert in a hole on the dash?

The immobiliser on my TT will 'forget' a key if it hasn't been used for a certain number of start cycles. It actually doesn't forget it, just assumes its lost and won't let it start the car.

I had cause to root around the insides of the doors of a 1999 Passat for a while a few years back. The quality of the construction compared to the Peugeots of similar vintage I was spannering at the same time was quite remarkable. I doubt the newer ones are as good.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes, I thought that. One possibility is the pickup coil at the ignition switch. The start for a few seconds is classic immobiliser behaviour.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've just had an EPC / ECU fault on the Golf, too.

Fortunately, it's being fixed under warranty.

I think the message was 'Engine Fault. Workshop Required!' or something that was obviously badly translated from German.

Reply to
SteveH