2008 335d: rear pad wear sensors?

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone who knows about such things will tell me whether a 2008 335d should have wear sensors on the rear brake pads? I recently had my car serviced at a dealer and received a warning that the rears were running a bit thin and would need replacing during the next few months. This seemed a little strange to me since the car has done 30K miles on the original pads, front and rear. I would have thought the front pads would go first because they do most of the work, don't they? Regardless, I am now wondering whether I carry on until a warning light makes itself known to me, or whether I get the job done sooner rather than later. On the subject of having this work done, what views do people have on aftermarket versus OEM pads? I see pads by Mintex, Brembo etc. at lower prices than BMW originals. These do not have wear indicators- is that one of the main reasons for the reduced price?

Cheers, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

BMW have been fitting brakewear sensors for decades; can't see yours not having them. They usually have one per axle.

The wear indication is a sensor that's pushed into the little cutout at the edge of the pad backing; it's not part of the pad. No reason not to buy whatever brand of pad takes your fancy or fits your wallet (tho occasionally a maker will produce pads that aren't quite the right size and are more prone to squeak or rattle.)

Reply to
Scott M

30K on the fronts is very good - far better than I ever get on my BMW. Are you sure the fronts haven't already been changed? Approx 15,000 for front and 30,000 for rear would be more usual.

BMW don't make their own brakes. Their pads are probably from a number of makers. I use ATE from Eurocarparts for both pads and discs.

The wear indicator is a separate part which clips into the pad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)