2nd gear stopped working after hard revs..

Yes I'm an idiot! Despite a couple of years of gentle driving ...

Some plonker cuts me up and slows down, and rather than leaving them alone, the red mist descended, We had almost stopped at a red light which was changing to green, I go into 1st , rev hard, and changing into

2nd something snaps.

Now 2nd gear doesnt engage. All other gears work (for now). What do I need to buy from eurocarparts? (E36 320i 1994) No gearboxes on there BTW!

Lordy

Reply to
lordy

What happens when you try to select 2nd gear? Do you get a grinding, any resistance or dose it feel like it's going in but you get no drive.

Reply to
Depresion

How good are you at dismantling and rebuilding a gearbox?

As it is RWD, it's definitely an internal problem, most likely on the selector forks which means a full strip down of the box.

You're going to have to dismantle it first to see what's broke. Could be something as simple as the fork coming off the shaft if you've sheared the retaining pin.

Personally, I'd be looking for a second hand one from a breakers/Ebay.

Reply to
Conor

I had an incident a while back where i was revving hard in 2nd when to change into third and couldn't. It was stuck in second gear. I managed to hammer the level out but then couldn't get it back into second fully. For me it was new (used) gearbox time.

Reply to
adder1969

Do they sell Prozac ?

Reply to
Rex B

It's hard to know what you will need until you open the gearbox and fish out the broken parts.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sorry. Missed that bit of info. Selecting 2nd is now like going into neutral!

Lordy

Reply to
lordy

I couldn't even get my gearbox apart.