307 steering fault

I have a 307 1.6 rapier petrol 2001 Y plate

Four months after the warrenty finishes the power steering pump fails because of a coroded live terminal on the pump. this has now been replaced by a brand new one costing £382.00. the power steering works ok when travelling at speed but when crawling or at stop it is very hard to turn the wheel, if you turn it slowly the power steering works, any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Williams

fairly slow and see if that helps,if the level drops then it was air, Regarding it works at speed,if on the motorway say for example you only move the wheel a little so in practice it does feel right compared to say parking in a car park, HTH

simon.

Reply to
simon

I have a 307 1.6 rapier petrol 2001 Y plate

Four months after the warranty finishes the power steering pump fails because of a corroded live terminal on the pump.The pump has now been replaced with a brand new one.The power steering works ok when travelling at speed but when crawling or at stop it is very hard to turn the wheel, if you turn it slowly the power steering works, any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Williams

On our old 307 SW, at slow speed if you really swung the steering wheel round quickly it was possible to turn it faster than the power steering could cope with, and as such you got heavy steering for moment until it caught up.

Take the car back to whoever fitted the new pump and get it checked out. If the car is a low or average mileage example I would also be hassling Peugeot for a contribution towards the cost of the original repair. The problem obviously began before the warranty expired, and unless the car has covered a starship mileage I would say it was a premature failure.

Reply to
Doctor D