4 * petrol

can any one tell me the diffrence between//4*lrp..and 4* lead free petrol???

Reply to
Iffy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Iffy) contains these words:

Same thing. LRP and /proper/ 4* - that's a different kettle of fish. LRP has a different additive to increase the octane rating and protect the valves (allegedly) wheras proper 4* used tetraethyl lead.

Reply to
Guy King

Cheers/// Its just that ive became the now prowd owner of a 1983 v.w. passat GL5 with only 51,000 on the clock with a full v.w. service history and most garage have 4* lrp at 83.9 per ltr but this one garage B.P. has 4* (lead free petrol)sing at 79.5 per ltr its all a wee bit much???? Thanks Iffy.

Reply to
Iffy

Germany had lead free petrol long before it was law here. So your Passat might well be ok on ordinary. FWIW, I run my '84 Rover SD1 on unleaded with no problems - although I do use Optimax.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hello,

You can also fill it with unleaded and but a lead replacement additive from Halfords, although there are other motoring shops available!

Reply to
jason

I would use unleaded and an additive such as Valvemastre or Millers. I have

*heard* that different petrol companies use different lead replacements some use Potassium, and some use Magnesium. Mixing brands can allegedly cause an emulsion to form in the carburettor.
Reply to
Doctor D.

According to PC, all VWs ever made are happy on unleaded.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wouldn't argue with that. My 1985 Polo 1.3 certainly ran well on UL, when not many other cars of that vintage could.

Reply to
Doctor D.