4-star LRP

I have a lawnmower that runs on 4-star LRP. There is now only one filling station in this area that supplies it, at 168p a liter the other day!

I'm told that I can use unleaded with a shot of Redex without doing too much damage to the engine. Is this really true?

Are there different types of Redex? How much is a shot?

Reply to
Ian

Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'd be very surprised if a lawnmower engine had any problems whatsoever on unleaded, or needed anything stronger than 95 octane.

What's the engine in it?

If you really do need something to stop the valve seats recessing rapidly, have a look at

Adrian

just use one of the lead-substitute octane enhancers. there are several about.....

Reply to
Gordon

Not an old Suffolk Punch, by any chance?

If so, the problem with these is that during long periods of non-use, the valves stick in the guides. Come the spring, and the thing won't start because there is no compression.

Using LRP coats the valve and guide, helping to prevent the seizure.

If this is the case you need not worry about the valve seats being damaged by the lack of LRP, which Redex won't help with but other additives may.

The reason Redex is recommended is that the lubricating qualities also will help to prevent the valve/guide seizure problem. In point of fact, you only really need to use it with the last tankful of fuel for the mowing season.

Alternatively, if you just turn it over every couple of weeks during the winter, it will be fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Try

(Daily Telegraphs agony aunt for cars) - they have a list of a few (very few) garages selling leaded petrol in the UK

IF you're VERY lucky one might be close by - I know its an outside chance!

Reply to
Tommy

Considering the amount of petrol a lawnmower uses I'd just buy the stuff at 168p instead of dicking around with additives?

Reply to
Abo