405 estate- dash lights not working

Hi

405 estate 2nd build

This is just a niggle, but the "START" light should come on when the ignition key is first turned and should go out after the engine starts - other light associated with this is the red "overheat" light on the temp display bottom right of the temp control display.

I know that both panel lights are ok because they light up ( a bit dim) very occasionally after rain/damp weather. Put it this way - I get a shock when they do come on and initially think that there is a problem but then realise that this is what should happen.

Can anyone let me know where the sensors are located.

I could then try and clean the contacts to see if that is the problem.Maybe requires a new sensor(s)?

Also the air bag light does not illuminate on start up, or the "water in fuel" light (also on start up)

Any thoughts on this?

ta

Reply to
sid

They're connected via an electronic control in the fusebox, known as a BSI unit. Not much you can do if the fault is there. Have you checked all the fuses.

John

Reply to
John

Fuses are ok. Is the temp sensor on the rad or on the engine block?

Reply to
sid

I'm only familiar with the diesel. Temp sensor is on engine block. There are two sensors on standard diesel and three on T/Diesel.

Reply to
John

Mine is a 1.9 non turbo diesel. Immediately after I posted message about dash lights then they started working 80% on start up (After oil change and a bit of Gunk spray clean up on engine block may have caused this - who knows? Weather as been very hot as well)

Bit worried now as the "STOP" light comes on with the temp warning light at irregular intervals when the engine is running and up to normal temp - in fact showing 80C. Fan operates when at 80c and even when engine switched off /ignition on, will operate down to under 70c.

It does switch off at a lower temp as I waited for 15 minutes and the fan did start but stopped after a few minutes. Unlike my earlier 405 it does not run on for 12 minutes after ignition switch off.

Could this just be a faulty sensor or maybe water pump problem? Rad water level is ok, no sign of overheating, and no cap lift off to discharge water.

Are the temp sensors colour coded? where on engine block?

Thanks for your help

Reply to
sid

They are colour coded, green and brown I think. I don't know which is which. One for gauge and one for glowplugs. Sticking out of cyl head on passenger side.

John

Reply to
John

Located temp switch for fan. Its on the thermostat passenger side colour brown. Gave it a bit of a shake and the fan stopped running. I must have knocked it when changing oil. Fan now cuts in at 90c - no problem with running on.

Lost my initial "START" light as well.

Peugeot electric's are a joke in the second build version.The connectors are really underspecified and corrode easily

thanks for your help

Reply to
sid

They're a bit complicated ok. As I said all the sensor signals dissappear into the blackhole of the BSI/fusebox, so if you don;t have a wiring diagram and know how to read it; then it's immpossible to know whats going on.

Reply to
John

I only have Haynes manual and as the wires are numbered and not colour coded then its heavy going, no matter what you are trying to locate.

Have not looked if temp sensor/stop light is covered in the manual but I think not!

My solution to most electrical problems is to get wd40 and give a good spray. Or if I am feeling flush - some contact cleaner.

Reply to
sid