405 Mi16 low oil pressure warning lamp on... but why?

The theory is, so long as the oil is covering the pick up for the oil pump the pump will suck the shit up and spread it around the engine. But my low oil pressure light is on yet the level is correct. So the pick up should be good. However, it only lights up when the engine gets hot. And when the engine gets hot, the sump leaks like a bitch. I assume its the sump anyway.

I really don't know what the hell is going on here. I thought I'd solved this problem by putting new oil in that was nice and thick.

How long is an oil pump supposed to last then? My engines on 117000. Unfortunately the 405 doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, only a low oil pressure warning light that apparently is supposed to light when oil pressure drops below 0.8 bar. (Assuming the sensor is accurate).

I tried a quick rev of the engine ages ago, didn't make the light go out.

The engine was rebuilt just under 20000 miles ago and has had mainly fairly gentle use from me in the last 10000 miles. Cambelt snapped in February. Can't exactly remember when the oil leak first started but I know that the oil pressure light first came on in april.

Reply to
Kris