406 HDi - vibration / resonance

My 406 HDi 110 is pretty quiet and refined for a diesel, *but* when driving uphill or in fifth at around 60 (and therefore giving it a fair bit of throttle) between 1800 and 2000 revs it's not. The car sounds noticably noisier than at any other point in the rev range, more diesely, whereas normally you can hardly hear engine noise. Accelerate though to 2000 revs or above and the noise disappears. Same for if you slow down, so it's definately not the engine labouring.

Is something broke or do they all do it?

Reply to
Doki

My vauxhall does the exact same thing at 30mph in 4th, it vanishes at 35mph and goes all quiet again. They all do it.

Reply to
john m

Stop using cooking oil or old chip fat.

That's what's causing it to fart at around 1800 - 2000 rpm and hydrogenated oil is bad for its health!

Reply to
Unbeliever

I'm using a 54 plate Renault Espace 2.2dci that has *never* been run on chip fat, veg oil or anything other than pump diesel in its life - and that does it.

Reply to
Pete M

Same with this. I don't think you'd find many folk daft / brave enough to try veg oil in a common rail diesel.

Reply to
Doki