£5000! - cost of putting petrol in a diesel BMW?

Bloke at work told me his wife's BMW diesel company car had needed the whole fuel system replaced due to someone in her firm having used it and mistakenly filled it with petrol. He had realised his mistake and had it drained on the forecourt before actually running the engine. However the draining could not have been 100% as a few months later the high pressure pump failed, it had worn due to small traces of petrol and produced very fine swarf that was returned to the tank. BMW dealer said only way to fix it and not have it come back dead again and again was to replace the whole fuel system including injectors, 3 pumps, tank and all fuel lines. Total £5000 and not a warranty job. As it was a few months later it's impossible to prove that the draining had not been done right or that no one else had put petrol in it.

This sort of mishap is clearly expensive on modern common rail diesels. Even worse for 2nd or 3rd private owner who buys a car just after it had been filled with petrol so it dies horribly in the first month of ownership, they would wind up with this massive expense. How would someone that had just bought a 2nd hand one prove they hadn't put the petrol in themselves and that it was sold defective?

Peter Hill

The message from Peter Hill contains these words:

I'm surprised that the filter wouldn't take out this alleged swarf. It'd have to be incredibly fine to get through a diesel fuel filter. These things run with all sorts of crap in the tank for year. The rusty narsty gritty grot you get in most tanks is taken out easily by the filter.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Reply to
Guy King

That's my first thought, BMW must have really crap filters if the swarf went through again. Personally it sounds like the dealer out to make a fast one, but maybe I'm just being cynical....

Reply to
Chris Street

Yeah, running it on petrol might bugger the pump, if you're spectacularly unlucky that wouldn't do the injectors any good but if swarf can get from the fuel tank to the pump then you've got a new & interesting problem. Thereagain if you're dumb eneough to pay the BMW dealer to fix something you've buggered up you probably do get bills that size.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Thought it was common to use a small amount of petrol in diesel in very cold weather?

Of course, if the pumps were run on petrol rather than diesel I suppose some damage might result through lack of lubrication, but you reckon this didn't happen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Paraffin, usually.

Reply to
Guy King

Likewise, a friends dad very recently accidentally filled his MB Sprinter CDi with petrol and then not realising his mistake(?!) drove it until it stopped. At this point realised. Anyhow the dealer took it in and replaced most of the fuel system bar the tank, and spent most of a day being sure the remains of the system were properly flushed out throughly.

He luckily was able to claim on his insurance, only paying the excess on which cost the insurance company £2600.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

High pressure fuel pump failure is not uncommon on these engines and it is not caused by petrol in the fuel usually. Changing the faulty component cures it. A friend had a new pump at around 20k and I have had a faulty injector at around 15k. Mine is a bit noisy at idle, noisier than it was initially I feel. Certainly no petrol in mine because I have not filled at a petrol station yet in 26000 miles.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

This is common in the MB. Apparently the seals they use in the fuel system are destroyed if you put them near petrol. From a reliable source I heard that it works out just as cheap to get a fully dressed exchange engine fitted, than it is to change the fuel system.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

: He luckily was able to claim on his insurance, only paying the excess on : which cost the insurance company £2600.

How on earth can you claim on insurance for something like this? It's just sheer stupidity.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The message from "Ian Johnston" contains these words:

Fully comp, I assume.

Reply to
Guy King

Are BMWs any better than Mercs these days - they build them down top the cost rather than up to a standard

A mate bought one of the 1st BMW coupes from a dealer in Guildford. Surrey as a NEW car

When he got the V5 the sods had actually registered it on the 31st of the previous month to get a BMW new car bonus - the owner then complained about (amongst 30 other things) that the leather was matt on one side of the cabin and shiny on the other side

The dealer Principle in Vines Guildford said - you should expect issues with

2nd hand cars - you cannot make it up can you - I guess this was because my mate complained to BMW and took the Bonus off of VINES

I'm still wondering if they gave back the 17.5 vat they fiddled (new vs. used)

customs Excise - any comments?

apart from Friday cars / cowboys can be downed anywhere - even in Guildford. Surrey

Reply to
jim

: The message : from "Ian Johnston" contains : these words: : : > How on earth can you claim on insurance for something like this? : : Fully comp, I assume.

Yes, but even so, I assumed that insurance covered accidents in the "hitting someone" sense, not of the "being a complete divot" variety. Oh well, we live and learn. And pay high insurance premioums.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I fail to see the difference in intelligence between putting petrol in a diesel and driving into the car on front. Both require quite monumental degrees of stupidity.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Main dealers have been successfully prosecuted by Trading Standards in the past for doing this. One that springs to mind is a Vauxhall main agent in Stoke.

Reply to
Doctor D

So is running into the back of somebody, or reversing into large objects, but that's insurance for you!

Reply to
Doctor D

The message from "David A Stocks" contains these words:

Can anyone point me at a site explaining what a Pumpe Duse does? I can't sort the wheat from the chaff. Among all the pages raving about it, I can't find one that says what it is.

Reply to
Guy King

Are BMWs common rail or PD? I have a common rail Alfa, and it ran on diluted petrol (less than 25%) for about a 100 miles, before I diluted it further. The car has done around 40K miles since without any problem ...

David A Stocks

Reply to
David A Stocks

The system in question is not made by BMW. It is made by Bosch.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Common rail.