52 Reg Mondeo Door Locking itself

A few times lately I have been sitting in my 52 reg Mondeo with the key fob in the ignition and the electronic door locks have locked themselves. This has happened several times and seems mostly when I am near B/Ham Airport but this may not be relevant.

This morning I unlocked the car with the zapper then stood outside with my hands nowhere near the buttons and every couple of minutes it would lock itself. I did this repeatedly. Is it something to do with the battery of the key fob or do I have another problem?

Reply to
Merryterry

Hi My '99 renault scenic also does this. Have a look in the owners/haynes book as on my Renault,this is meant to happen. You may not have a problem

Reply to
Mark Smith

I must add,the doors only lock on mine when outside,not in the car with the key in the ignition

Reply to
Mark Smith

Interestingly (OK, probably not), I notice the sound of what I think are the rear locks operating about 10 minutes after driving away. I've never found a door unexpectedly locked or unlocked, but then I don't generally use the rear seat, so who would know.

I had wondered if it was some 'child safety' thing and the doors locked themselves above a certain speed or after a certain time?

I did once find the car unlocked in the garage a few days after I'd last used it, but I put that down to my stupidity rather than any electrical gremlins :-)

Al.

Reply to
Al

Lots of modern cars will re-lock themselves if no doors are opened within a certain time limit. Although I'm not aware of any that will lock themselves after having had a door opened, unless the door switch isn't working, but turning the ignition on should stop them locking.

Reply to
moray

Quite a few cars lock the doors when the car's speed gets to 5mph or so. Maybe some just lock the rear doors, like yours, apparently. Though why wait ten minutes?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Today I heard the noise after about 5 minutes (guess). I'd been driving at around speeds of up to 45/50, but the locking noise happened when doing around 30 in town. When stopped at the lights I looked back and the doors didn't look like they were locked. Maybe it's the boot locking. Maybe it's just a fault. Maybe I should get someone to sit in the back!

Al.

Reply to
Al

Merryterry submitted this idea :

Some cars have a feature where as soon as you go over a certain speed, the doors lock themselves and stay locked. It is a security feature so no one can open a door as wait at the lights and pinch your valuables.

Most now do that - You unlock it, you must then open a door or they relock themselves.

Mine also locks its boot up as soon as you turn the ignition on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield