9.85v at the battery plugs when engine's running

hello,

my battery is almost flat after I used the car for 600 miles. I verified with a voltmeter, it says

9.85v at the battery plugs when engine's running it says 11.4v when the ignition key is removed

what do you think the problem is ?

thanks

yomgui

Reply to
yomgui

The first step is to try another alternator; if this is not the problem my guess is that there is a heavy current drain somewhere in the ignition supplied components, were it a full short in the harness you should have noticed!

low voltage when engine running sounds like battery is being drained, recovers slightly when switched off. Normally voltage should be around 14.5 running, 12.5 - 12.8 switched off

Reply to
Steptoe

The first step surely would be to check the wiring to the alternator! No good just fitting a new alternator if it is just a broken wire.

Reply to
SimonJ

..or make sure that the fanbelt is in place!

Reply to
NT

Without a fan belt most engines would overheat long before the battery ran flat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're measuring that voltage direct at the battery, the alternator isn't charging.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Depends one which useage of "fan belt" you're using. Many have the water pump driven by the cam belt so there's no problem.

Reply to
Guy King

What happens to the voltage with the ignition on but the engine not running?

And what have you got in the way of extra equipment, like ICE for instance?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

thanks to all of you for your answers