90-ish BMW 320, 325 touring MPG?

I currently drive a W123 Merc 280e and am considering changing to an older BMW estate on fuel and dog accommodation grounds. What kind of MPG could I get out of a 1990-ish Beemer estate?

tia

VZ

Reply to
Vasili.Zaitsev1943

Vasili.Zaitsev1943 ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Eh? You've got an older E-class, and you reckon a 5-series is going to have more space in the back? I've never done an absolute back-to-back, but surely the W123's going to be much more capacious...?

Reply to
Adrian

It's a W123 saloon. I want an estate and better fuel cons and am thinking of a BMW

Reply to
Vasili.Zaitsev1943

"Depends" is the right answer. What do you get from your current machine?

The book says ~26 to the gallon. The early 90s 3-series 2.0 I6 models show ~30 to the gallon, the 2.5 I6 is slightly heavier. 5-series are marginally heavier.

But, really, if you want economy and estate, then the other word that fits is "diesel." That would mean 325td or ideally the 325tds.

If the price difference between the 325i and 325tds is too great then I put it to you that you ought not to be worrying about fuel consumption so much either. ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Vasili.Zaitsev1943 ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah...

Reply to
Adrian

see my other post about the guy asking about the e34, a bit heavier but i belive same engines..

Reply to
Jules

I run a 1999 E36 323i Sport auto Touring. Driven fast it doea about 24-28mpg and I do give it some stick. Driven like a nun, it can hit 40mpg with no problems on a run. As far as accomodation for the dogs go, I'd get an E34 525 (M50 engine). Lower mpg but much mmore space for the beasts. For ultimate mpg, a 325TDS or

525TDS are best in this class.

JB

Reply to
JB

You're not going to gain anything really if at all. High 20's for the

2L, 30 at a push. 25 for the 325/525.
Reply to
Conor

Only if it;s knackered, the 2l's happily make it into the mid 30s

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On 19 Feb, 22:36, "JB" wrote:> As far as accomodation for the dogs go, I'd get an E34 525 (M50 engine).

border terrier

VZ

Reply to
Vasili.Zaitsev1943

On 20 Feb, 00:09, Conor wrote:> You're not going to gain anything really if at all. High 20's for the

I get 22 out of the 280e, so I am going to gain a bit

VZ

Reply to
Vasili.Zaitsev1943

The shit some people come out with on Ebay

This guy ticks all the dodgy trader boxes - claiming 79,000, that it belonged to an elderly relative. Someone questioned him on the state of the seats :-)

Vasili.Zaitsev1943

I like the "only one owner" bit when actually he's the third owner.

Reply to
adder1969

adder1969 (adder1969 ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"Only one owner... currently"

Reply to
Adrian