94 Cavalier seat belt

Hi, The seat belt is not going in properly and has a habit of comming undone. Obviously it needs the replacing. The seat belt stalk has some pre-tensioner affair associated with it. My Haynes manual says that only vauxhall mechanics can touch this device without facing certain death. However it looks to me that you can just put the red clip in and unbolt the thing. Is there anything more to it?

If I can't find a correct replacement will a non-pretensioner one from an earlier cav fit?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram

make sure you discount the battery & leave for about 20 mins & then put the red tag in & replace as necessary. if you replace it with a non pre-tensioner you will have a malfunction light displayed constantly on the dash.

Reply to
reg

Thanks, I got as far as unbolting the seat from the floor pan and I didn't notice any electrical connections but I think there may be a tell tale for the seat belt on the dash? Can't see how it would work, unless it's conected using the actual belt. Is a malfunction light an MOT fail?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram

Not certain but pretty sure the 'old' vauxhall seat belts with the red safety clip thing are not electric and so no need to disconnect battery etc just insert the red clip then unbolt the unit from the seat.

Reply to
Richard Hill