94 Festa big end bolts?

Hi all,

A mate was half way through replacing the big end shells on his sons old 1.1 (Kent?) Fiesta then read the book that said these big end bolts were 'one use'? Then he was told that he couldn't get replacements from Ford?

So, is either true and if so what does one do please?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The big end bolts are down as one use only, I would be surprised if many people actually replace them and I would guess Ford still do them, if not then an engine reconditioner would.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah, ok. Def not a big 'don't' then?

Apparently not.

Ah, good idea, thanks.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Dunno - but as an aside I've never known it to be worthwhile replacing shells - except obviously after a crank grind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

VW Golf ones are supposedly one use. People do re-use them though.

Reply to
Doki

I've always reused 'em when I've rebuilt a Kent engine with no problems. If you wanna be on the safe side

sell the bolts, part no; FP537A at £1.52 each.

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Cheers, I'll pass that on.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

IIRC, the correct way is to measure the lengths against a new one. If any are stretched, discard. Or just check them against each other.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)