94 Rover 218SD coolant level indicator.

Hi all,

A few weeks back the other hose on the 1.9 Pug lump split (where it joins to the base of the oil filter .. oil cooler I imagine?) and I managed to initially replace it with a bit of straight hose, formed into an 'S' (it was supposed to look like a double ended Ikea hex wrench). [1] ;-)

Soon after the low oil / coolant light came on and a quick check showed it was neither actually low but the warning light persisted.

I've just taken the coolant level sensor out and checked it mechanically (there is a float ring that moves up and down about 10mm) but putting my DMM on there I can measure no change in resistance with the float up or down (I was assuming it was a reed in the rigid support tube and there was a magnet in the float Could be summat else of course)?

Disconnecting the sensor takes the warning light out so I'm assuming it is to do with the coolant indicator.

So, OOI, can anyone confirm how they (should) work and would it not be working an issue for an upcoming MOT (I thought I read all dash lights should function correctly etc).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I now have a genuine replacement hose in the boot found on the net for less that £10 delivered. ;-)
Reply to
T i m