97 Escort Remote Central locking/alarm controller

I have done a google on all the car groups, but never found an answer to this question. On the '97 Escort, using the key activates the central locking, and by moving something else, activates the alarm system. (ie it seems that the key operates two separate circuits. 1-the central locking and 2-the alarm system)

Of all the remote central locking adapters i have looked at, most can control the central locking, but don't seem to activate the switch that activates/de-activates the alarm system.

Does anyone out there know of such a system that allows the central locking AND alarm system to be controlled remotely (ie keeping the original alarm system)?

Many thanks in advance Neal

Reply to
NealUK

The Escort has a separate rotary switch around the Door Lock Barrel activated when you rotate the key.... This arms the alarm... The central locking mechanism is controlled within the actuator by a contact breaker system. The most likely problem with your car is a corroded or broken wire at the moving grommet between the drivers door and the pillar caused by years of opening and closing.

JK

Reply to
JK

O yes....one other thing..... it may be the actual locking mechanism on the drivers door.... they have a habit of breaking a small retaining spring and this causes the door latch to stay in the unlocked position regardless of actuator position.An easy check is to remove the door panel and fish around the bottom of the door and see if you find a small spring.... similar to a spring you find in a pen....if so then that is the problem..... it can be re-attached to the lock mechanism again.

JK

Reply to
JK

Many thanks for your reply.

I don't actually have a problem with either the central locking or alarm at the moment - I just heard that the locks can become worn & I thought that I could avoid this by fitting a remote(central locking & alarm) controller to the existing system of the Escort.

Cheers, Neal.

JK wrote:

Reply to
NealUK