'99 Punto cooling problem

Hi. My Punto 60SX recently started overheating, and the heater stopped working. I replaced the thermostat but it still has pretty much the same symptoms. Needle gets up to the red line after about 6 miles, and although the heater puffs out a bit of warm air to start with, after a couple of miles it turns cold. Could it be that the new thermostat is duff? (Unfortunately I didn't think to check it before fitting it.) Or could something else account for the symptoms? Would be very grateful for any advice.

Reply to
bodger

Could be air in the coolant system, or in my case (Punto 60S), the cooling fan not cutting in.

NewsGroups

I don't want to worry you but these are exactly the symptoms my 60S started exhibiting as the head-gasket went, taking out some temperature sensor with it. I would get it checked out ASAP.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

is it using water ?

does the header tank have an oily film and a smell of combustion products ?

one or both point strongly at the head gasket !

Reply to
Martyn Hodson