A story with a happy ending - Rover 420 TD engine sucked in floodwater [long]

Thought I'd share a happy (and probably lucky!) story about my recently purchased Rover 420 TD.

I bought it last Saturday, with a seized turbo, meaning to fix it at some point (still gave me 46 mpg over the week though!)

Anyway, this morning on the way to work, I came across a flood in the road (it turned out to be just over sill-depth). Of course, that normally isn't high enough to reach the intake, so I plunged on in, confident that I'd be the idiot in the diesel car with a bow wave.

Until the engine went "klonk" and stopped dead, instantly.

What I didn't know then, but do know now, is that the intake pipe had a whopping hole in it, right at the bottom. Ho hum.

Now, the stupid thing to do is try and crank an engine full of water, but having been up at 2am the night before I wasn't feeling too bright and thought I could reverse it out on the starter (with an engine full of water that was never going to happen). The starter just jammed against the flywheel.

By this point, water was starting to pour in over the sills, so I moved my laptop out of a footwell onto a seat, all the time with that "sinking feeling". A passing 4x4's bow-wave actually floated my car off the ground briefly. I should point out that this floodwater smelt quite strongly of sewage. :P

I sat there for a while thinking about what to do. I called my recovery service, who informed me that actually I wasn't covered for recovery from water, and it was my own stupid fault for driving into it in the first place!

At this point I figured that I might as well try to push it out of the water (I was already soaked since the footwells has filled up with water right up to the center console). So I got out and tried to heave it backwards towards dry land (uphill). Fortunately a local farmer was passing in his Landy and took pity on me and towed the car out backwards. Anyway, being out of the water changed the story with the recovery service, and they agreed to come out and bring me and the car home.

So, I'm at home with my car in the street with a puddle forming around the car as the footwells drain. At this stage I wasn't holding out much hope for the engine, especially given my cranking attempt.

I figured out that the best way to get water out of the cylinders was to remove the injectors and crank it on the starter. After dismantling the intake and getting the injectors out, it was clear from shining a torch into the holes that there was a lot of water sitting in the cylinders. I checked the cambelt, which appeared OK.

So I got my wife to watch the engine to see if any water dribbled out, while I cranked it.

From my position in the drivers seat, everything in front of the raised

bonnet disappeared in a cloud of water, including my wife (she saw the funny side, thankfully!). It just kept coming, much like the Bournemouth dancing waters, but in the firing sequence of the cylinders. I'm still amazed so much water could be in an engine, as were the neighbours and other passer's by, who stopped to watch the fool with a fountain in his engine bay.

So I returned the injectors to the engine to see if it would turn over without stopping, which it did, after a few false starts. I reconnected the fuel system, all the time suspecting that something else would be broken...

Much to my amazement, it started to fire on a few cylinders (with a bit of throttle work) and eventually all four! Out of the exhaust emerged a vile concoction of water, diesel and oil, and it continued to run really lumpy, all the time putting out clouds of oily smoke (at this stage I was convinced the gasket was gone).

But as it ran, it cleaned up until it was running normally. I took it for a quick blast up the road (clearning more mess out of the exhaust), and everything was fine.

However - and this is the really odd bit - the turbo had un-seized, and was whistling away quite happily, giving lots of lovely boost!

I've driven it about a fair bit tonight and it really is running well. I'm delighted. :)

So this is a tribute to the amazing strength of the Rover 2.0 TD engine, which survived water ingestion without stripping the cambelt, popping a gasket or bending either the valves, crankshaft or camshaft.

Thought you would all appreciate a story with a happy ending.

THE END :)

Reply to
tony.jackson

To quote Mony Python: "You lucky, *lucky* bastard!"

However you will now get much gyp with your electrical system for your sins. I'm sure from your tale that the 'water' must have reached some of the wiring and other giblets they put under the seats and carpets these days. Freeing off the turbo was a bonus though eh?

JB

Reply to
JB

My thoughts exactly. :)

If you ever have a car with a stuck turbo, I can thoroughly recommend driving it into a lake. ;)

Tony

P.S. Give the way the car smells at the moment, no-one will be wanting to take a ride with me for a while!

Reply to
tony.jackson

LOL! I do know the feeling. I spilt a litre of chocolate milk all over/in the dash & console of my old 7-series BMW once. You want bad smells? That was *truly* grim.

JB

Reply to
JB

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote in news:1143839950.572593.272400 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

So driving into s**te cures turbos? I love it. All that water must have cleared the air pipes round the engine. You will have to get yourself an awesome air freshener though. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

A friend did this in his Montego.

His didn't stall though, just ran lumpily for a few minutes, but the didn't seem quite right for a few months.

In the end, he got tired of it, and stripped the engine down, to find he'd bent a conrod

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I suspect it the turbo unseized when it was hit with a high speed slug of water - which would either release the stiction or snap a blade!

Reply to
PC Paul

Surely the interior must stink horrific? Standard procedure for insurance is to scrap anything that's had water inside it.

Reply to
Doki

Some of that nice water will have dribbled past your rings and into your sump - you'll be wanting an oil change if you like your engine and turbo.

Coyoteboy

I was just thinking that. There's nothing obviously frothy on the dipstick, but it probably should be changed anyway.

I've done 200 miles in it so far, including a long motorway thrash, so it looks like the engine has survived (fingers crossed). I'm sure the muddy water contained grit and things which really shouldn't be in the cylinders, but I guess without a complete dismantle and clean there's not a lot I can do about that.

What's the possibility of any nasties in the engine just getting blasted out?

And it stinks. It's currently sat in the car park with all the windows open. When it's dried, I'll Febreze it (that stuff is seriously good for smelly cars!) and hopefully that'll sort out the smell.

Reply to
tony.jackson

Tony

Saturday motoring section of the Telegraph.....somebody had a letter ("Odour and out") in about mildew...not quite the same but they said it helped with the smells.

Company is

and the article
Cheers

Kev

Reply to
Kevin

Youre probably safe then really, the grit in the engine is likely to have been mostly blown out by now - 90% of the damage is probably done, and since it still runs it looks like youre ok!

J.

Reply to
Coyoteboy
1500 miles on now, still running sweetly!

So if anyone comes across this thread on google after sucking water into their engine - there is always hope. :)

Reply to
tony.jackson

Or what to do for a stuck turbo. :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Pleased to hear it. Even if it is on borrowed time (without you knowing it) and does let a conrod go in a month or two, at least it will have cheated death to the tune of a good few thousand miles!! :-)

Touch wood it'll last a fair bit longer than that though.

Reply to
AstraVanMan