AA warranty - a good deal?

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking up the AA's parts and labour warranty that's available for about £50/year, and am wanting to know what experiences people have had - good or bad? I'm currently driving a K-reg,

94,000-mileage, Volvo 440XI, whose alternator just failed the other week resulting in a garage bill of nearly £200 - I presume that would have been covered. I'm just aware that, given the car's age, there may be other things to start to fail in the not-too-distant future. As the car's just within the AA's limits of what it'll cover (ie. not older than 10 years, and with a mileage of less than 100,000), then it may be better to take it now, as they say they'll continue to keep it covered after it breaks those limits. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Burch

Well, I've got this warranty as well. So far I've not had to use it but I'd also be interested in any comments on this.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

taken off the aa site

Insured Parts The insured parts are as follows:

  1. Engine All parts are covered excluding: oil seals and gaskets, catalytic converters, exhaust systems and engine mountings

if you take a out there warrenty do they check the car over first or not to check for any problems

lee

Reply to
toddy

50 quid a year seems very cheap if it covers things like alternators. Given that the largest chunk of that 50 quid will go on admin, etc, rather than claims.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd think the alternator would come under electrics - not engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Forgot to mention that the alternator being replaced was a direct result of having the car die on me, and having to call the AA out. They were able to get it going again, and it did get me by for a few days before I had it replaced. I'll actually pass that question onto the AA themselves, to see what they would have done.

Reply to
Steve Burch

Alternator is nothing to do with engine as far as warrantys are concerned.

Reply to
Alan

For £50 it is likely to cover very little, have a small claims limit and require an excess.

A decent warranty that has a high claims limit, covers most items and has no excess is likely to cost over £100.

Having said that, I wouldn't paying an excess (i.e. not including cheaper repairs) if more expensive items were covered.

Reply to
Alan

ISTR its £500 per claim, 3 claims per year, with no excess.

Know of any companies offering such? I've always felt there's a market for companies to offer after market warranties - like the AA's but more comprehensive - like what you can have when you buy a second hand car.

Reply to
Andy Jenkins

I got a Pug 306 1.4 W reg and it costs me 130 quid a year. I havent made a claim yet but its with warranty direct. seems very comprehensive.

I am sure i got a discount link somewhere which gives u £15 cash back and a month free.

Reply to
Bob

*ping* You've just discovered the horrible truth behind warranties!

Not covered :

Wear & Tear Manufacturing defects (generic, eg cam on CVH engines) Manufacturing defects (isolated, eg forgot to apply grease at making) Accidental Damage Acts of God.

Nothing is covered if the company see fit. You've still got to pay for it to be stripped down, at their approved garages, at 40 quid an hour (which they pay for if they decide it's covered, or you pay for if not, plus the difference between 40 and the garage hourly rate).

Next time I get a car, I'll ask the chirpy sales-bastard to actually _read_ the small print, and remind him that under the new EU(?) rules, everything you buy has an implied 6 month warranty anyway :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith