Aargh - THAT Ford Escort again - help!

Hi all

Further to the previous about the Ford escort CVH 1.4i that broke a cam belt and needed the head dowels................

Head is back on, everything is bolted up. New cam belt fitted and timing marks look to be accurate (kind of hard to tell with the cam sprocket as it's not that visible).

It starts (no throttle) revs up a bit and then dies. If I keep the throttle open it will run quite happily at an estimated 1500-2000rpm, if I let it drop a bit then it will get all 'lumpy' - open the throttle slightly and nothing happens for a few seconds - it still is 'lumpy' - then there will be a small 'pop' or 'chuff' sound (apparently from around the inlet manifold near cylinders 3&4) and it picks up the revs smoothly.

It feels like a misfire/electrical problem but I cannot find anything untoward. All plugs and connections have been reconnected , HT leads seem fine and I'm going to renew the spark plugs & leads tomorrow.

Has anybody any other suggestions?

(I was wondering if I had maybe got the belt a tooth out - would that cause this problem? I've refitted the belt several times now but I still get the same problem) The engine is easily turned by hand and if you leave the rocker cover off it can be seen that all the valves are opening and closing fine)

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Ignore the above - numpty here forgot toplug the brake servo vacuum pipe back into the inlet manifold - ah me - only three hours wasted.

Thanks again

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

LOL easily done Graeme, least its was something simple.

Reply to
reg

"reg" wrote in news:dk2p9o$n6s$1 @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

I was just thinking it sounded like a bit of an air leak ;-)

Reply to
Stu

Major vacuum leak....

You did remember to use an inlet manifold gasket and connect the brake servo hose didnt you??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yes