Absorbed Glass Mat battery - how to recharge when completely flat

Hi all,

My neighbour has an MX5 (2003, 10,000 miles) and she doesn't use it very often. She killed the first battery so I got her to buy a new Absorbed Glass Mat battery back in January. The one we fitted was a Westco model. See:

It was fine until...

Problem is she has been away for a lot of the summer and has come back to a completely discharged battery. We jump-started the car the other day and took it for a drive of a few miles but there was absoultely no life at all in the battery when we got back. I did recommend a trickle charger back in January...

We've been trying to charge it using an auto-charger designed for gel batteries that says it should charge it at around 800mA but after 72 hours of charge (with the battery still connected to the car) there is absolutely no life at all in it. I've now disconnected the battery from the car and am trying to charge it like that. Will this help? Or will the fact that the battery was completely dead flat and then we jump started the car and drove it for a bit have completely killed it?

Do others have experience of MX5s draining batteries quite quickly when not used for a long time.?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

See the link "Care Instructions, Click Here" on that very page. It suggests a *long* charging time. If that doesn't help, you could ask the manufacturers at

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

Almost everything drains the battery if you don't use it for months & if it stays flat for weeks it's often dead. You can sometimes resurrect them with a normal Electronics PSU, charge at 30V limited to 1A until the voltage drops to 14V , then charge at 10A limited to 14.4V.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Virtually all high amperage lead acid batteries hate prolonged deep discharge. I suspect it's now a dud.

In future see if you can attach a float charger to the battery when not used for more than a couple of weeks. Ideally with an output of 13.8V or so. Cheap trickle chargers often can give too higher a voltage and this also degrades the battery.

Don't forget that the car electrics also discharge the battery over a long period.

Reply to
Fred

Yes - I'd read that but I thought it might have a bit of life after three days!

The charger is a CTek XS800 charger. Should be fine for the Westco battery.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

What, even an AGM battery? Sounds like a recipe for a large explosion to me...

This isn't a plain lead-acid jobbie with dilute sulphuric acid sloshing around you know!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

This is my worry but I understand that AGM batteries may be less susceptible to this sort of death?

Indeed - I did recommend this back in January! Neighbour has now bought a CTek charge which ought to be just fine for this purpose.

Indeed - I'm sure that is what will have happened.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Well if you check you'll find it is. There's some differences but not many. & that's all the posh chargers do, it's just automatic.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Most modern cars should have the battery disconnected if left for more than a couple of weeks or so, if a permanent float charge can't be arranged.

An SLA charger isn't suitable for trying to re-claim a knackered battery. It is limited to 13.8 volts. You really need to have at least double this voltage to try and reverse the chemical process. An ancient basic charger that has a maximum output of about 5 amps is ideal, as the off load voltage will be high. As (if) the battery recovers, its internal resistance will lower and bring the voltage down. As soon as it starts taking a reasonable current, change to a modern regulated charger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In general you're right, but optimates & the like have a 24V sulphated battery mode, where they stick 100mA through at upto 24V. Which works fine on little SLAs but may not be enough to salvage a large one.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm not sure that genuine SLA (gel) types can be saved. But no cars to my knowledge use these anyway.

FWIW, the last sulphated battery I tried to reclaim took nothing like

100mA at 30 volts to start with. And had to be left on charge for over a week before recovering - after a fashion.

Unless you don't need the vehicle a new battery is probably the simplest option - and take more care in the future. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm guessing a AGM battery will have similar charging characteristics as a gell battery, which means that if they've been left discharged for any length of time, then the only way to get them to accept a charge is using high voltage (typically twice the normal charging voltage).

As others have said, a proper charger designed for gel batteries will charge at high voltage/low current first, before dropping to bulk charge mode with medium voltage/high current, before then dropping to a float charge low voltage/low current. Or cheaper chargers will use a constant current power, and keep forcing the same current through regardless of voltage.

Reply to
M Cuthill

How does that work then?

Even a regulated bench supply has to step the voltage down to limit the current, you can't give it '30V at 100mA'

Or is it that you have a very high internal resistance at first, so you have to limit it to 30V *or* 100mA (say) whichever comes first, then let the current increase as the internal resistance lowers with normal battery function returning?

Reply to
PC Paul

In my day, SLA or gel battery chargers were constant voltage...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Normally there's a microcontroller which switches in a 100mA Constant Current source, so as the battery terminal voltage drops the current remains constant, till you hit the point where normal charging should resume.

Duncan Wood

Most modern ones are constant current to a preset voltage & then drop to a lower voltage limited maintenance current, then cycle between the two modes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry Duncan you are talking rubbish. The electrolyte is not free liquid at all.

Go and read about Absorbed Glass Mat batteries.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

How many times! It's not my car - it is my neighbour's and I advised her to get a trickle charger back in January the last time I replaced the battery for her!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Keep your hair on. It was just a comment as part of the general discussion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Despite all the claims for this sort of battery you treat it much as a liquid acid type. It is *not* an SLA type which uses gel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)