Adding a cigar lighter/power socket

I have a 1995 Ford Fiesta Diesel that doesn't have a cigar lighter. I am keen to have a power outlet in the car to be able to charge a mobile phone or a GPS, but there is no lighter installed.

Underneath the radio is a blanked out socket with a removable plastic "lid".

Would it be possible to install a lighter/power socket into this hole? If so how difficult would this be?

The car runs really well, and I don't want to have to replace it for the sake of a missing power socket.

Advice and anecdotes welcome

Nozza

Reply to
Nozza

Very easy, Run a length of cabling from the battery (with the appropriate connectors & an inline fuse) & a 12v power socket such as

A C

as

You may not need to do any cabling. It sounds like the blanking plug is where such a socket is intended to be fitted, but on the model you have they didn't fit it, to save 20p or so on the lower spec. model. It's quite likely though that the wiring loom has the flying leads sitting behind the blanker as they don't bother to use a different loom for the different models.

Had this on a Micra some years ago. Bought the socket from Halfords and just plugged the wires in. Easy peasy.

Needed to do this again recently and found Halfords don't do them any more, and I couldn't find anyone that does, even searching ebay. So I'd go for the one on ebay that AC suggests, then have a look and see if you have some spare looking wires coming out of the loom behind the blanker.

BobC

Reply to
BobC