Additional Maintenance

Hi all!

Through this group, I manage to do the majority of basic tasks, and in 6 years of car ownership have only ever taken the car to the garage once (Cambelt and water pump renewal). I do oil filter, coolant, oil, airfilter, fuel filter and topping up, however, should I be doing anything else. Car is

98 Diesel Citroen 55'000 miles. Needs to last a few years longer and I can't afford any garage bills, so trying to be more preventative maintenance than paying when it goes wrong. Many thanks for any suggestions!
Reply to
Old Fa*t

You don't say what particular model. Does it have hydro thingummy suspension? If so that will need draining, flushing and refilling every two or three years. You've got a very low mileage car so you shouldn't have many problems for another 50k. The cambelt is probably a 72k job unless you only do short journeys in which case every 36k is preferable.

Reply to
Malc

Surely the obvious thing to do would be to follow the schedule in the manufacturer's service book?

In particular, you don't mention the safety related items. You should be changing brake fluid, checking pad/disc and shoe wear limits. Whilst the wheels are off the ground to do those jobs it is easy to check suspension and steering components to play. Although this will not stop you having to replace things, you can at least plan when to do them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Good advice.

Yup. MOT testers are only interested in (or are only able to tell in most cases) whether the brakes work on the day of the test. They should still be checked for wear.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Add to that the condition of the brake pipes and hoses should be checked, and replaced sooner rather than later if something a bit suspect is afoot (i.e. corrosion or perished rubber).

Reply to
AstraVanMan