ADV: A4 Avant or 406 Estate

Hi all, I'm in need of some advice. Looking to buy an ~3 year old estate car for work and don't really know much about them. Your advice would gratefully received. The sort of things I'm looking for include: Economy (looking for a diesel) Storage space (obviously) Ability to do monster mileage (35-40K year) Reliability (cost of maintenance). Price of around 6-7K

If anyone can suggest any other estates that would be great.

Thanks

Satpal

Reply to
Satpal Chander

If you're going to do monster mileage then you might as well buy something that's high mileage to begin with. 406s have got more storage space , the interior trim doesn't last as well. Do you want more hidden storage space or just a bigger load area?

Reply to
DuncanWood

I don't quite follow?? Do you mean I should buy a high mileage and age A4, looking on autotrader p reg with 100K or a 406 exec, with 00/01with 80K.

Realistically it bigger load area as I'll be carrying computers around.

Thanks satpal

Reply to
Satpal Chander

I'd say Audi. Should last forever if you look after it.

Reply to
Doki

Merc E-class (I know you won't get a 3 yr old one but they do last very well), Passat or Skoda Octavia?

JB

Reply to
JB

thats Renault out of it then :O)

Reply to
George Spigot

I did 100,000 miles in an A4 Avant without (non self-inflicted...) incident. They're not /that/ big inside though.

Reply to
Grant

100Ks not high mileage, you expect to get 250-300k out of the A4's/Passats'Octavias clutch, new cylinder head at 150-200K, suspension arms every 80K. So buy a younger high mileage A4, there's plenty of 140000m R plate A4 estates on autotrader for £5K5

A4's fine then, when the seats are down you've got plenty of space, when the seats are up & the load covers hiding £10000 of servers though the 406 wins.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Yes, but the chances of a 406 having any semblence of reliability after 100k = zero.

Go for an A4, a Passat, or an Octavia. Or even a C or E class Merc if you can find a tidy one with not too many miles on...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks for all your help will probably go for a A4/Passat/Octavia BTW what are the Passat V6TDi's like??

Thanks Again. Satpal

Reply to
Satpal Chander