Advice on Jazz Disk Replacement

My 2010 Jazz has just gone through a successful MOT, with the following advisories:

003 Rear brake discs are worn and corroded pads are worn strongly advise replacement 004 Front brake discs and pads are worn

The car has done 35K miles with no pads or discs.

Honda dealer price: for pads and disc replacement, front and back £270 each. Local garage: for front pads and disc replacement £130, rear pads and disc replacement £140.

I am tempted to go with the local garage and replace both pads and discs as I will probably have the car for another 2 or 3 years.

My main concern is whether I should be concerned about the quality of the parts likely to be used by the local garage.

Any assistance in my decision making would be appreciated.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Nowadays the chances of getting seriously poor components for brakes is very low. Most garages stay clear of the really bad stuff because they do not want any comebacks. Disks generally only last to about 36 k on small cars, so it needs them all round. I fit lots of sets of Mintex discs and pads and find they fit properly and don't give any trouble, ask the garage what make they will fit.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

So when you book it in, ask for OEM-quality pads and discs. The parts price will be a bit higher than the cheapest, but the labour will be the same - and both parts and labour will be cheaper than dealer.

To give an indication of the range of parts prices...

So the cheapest own-brand at £25/pair, or Bosch for

Reply to
Adrian