Advice on what car I should buy?

I've got a budget of a definite maximum of £1000. Although a bit of a mechanical novice I started out with a Nova and then an Astra and found both quite easy to maintain with a Haynes manual and a bit of patience. They were easy and cheap for spares at breakers yards and low insurance groups.

All these things are something I'm looking for in my next car. The two major problems I had with these cars were bodywork which seemed to deteriorate rather quickly and an awful lot of trouble with attempted theft which became a real pain.

I then switched to a Daewoo Nexia. This solved both these problems and also gave me the luxury of PAS, AC and ABS - all of which I've come to really appreciate. Unfortunately this has expired beyond economical repair. Again it was a low insurance group but the lack of a Haynes manual and easily available second hand parts made it less easy to maintain.

So I'm looking for some suggestions on what to look at. I don't need anything flashy, just something with a reputation for reliability that's not a bugger to maintain and won't need welding every year. Low insurance group and economy would be a big bonus. AC and PAS would be a dream, but I would guess that's pushing it a bit given my budget.

Reply to
carless

Look for something big.

Volvo 850, Saab 9000, Alfa 164, Ford Granada, Vauhall Carlton.

Big cars are cheap, and you get loads of toys for your money.

Reply to
SteveH

Agreed. People pay a silly premium for small cars. You get more for your money with a big car.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Paul Giverin writes

Thanks both. Would a Ford Mondeo also fit in this category and fit the criteria?

Reply to
carless

Oh yes, there's loads of them about and they are a great car for the money. Nissan Primera is another one to consider

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P from the North

In message , snipped-for-privacy@nocar.com writes

Are you asking me or Steve? ;)

I would say yes but I'm on my second Mondeo and the moment and my son has one too. I've even relinquished my Focus (now driven by the wife) to return to the Mondeo. Its a very comfortable car.

They are quite reliable and bits for them are cheap. You should just be able to get a Mk2 for a grand, depending on where you live. The engines are trouble free if fed with the correct grade oil. Early Mk2's still have the silvertop engines with the hydraulic tappets. Cambelt interval is 80k miles or five years. Make sure you can verify its been done otherwise you can budget £180 to have it done. Make sure the clutch has plenty of life in it as it can be an expensive job (about £300-£400).

Go for the 1.8 or the 2.0 engine. The 1.8 TD isn't too bad but not the best engine in its class by any means. It is very economical and will be fine if you are a bit of a plodder.

They don't tend to rust. They handle well but they can be heavy on front tyres. Check that central locking and alarm works the way it should do as they sometimes develop a mind of their own and it can be hard to track down the cause. Make sure you get the "master" red key with the car as it can cost over £100 to get a spare key without one.

I'll let Steve give you his opinions now........

:)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I wouldn't buy a Mondeo.

Personally I find them uncomfortable and very cheap inside.

Move up a size and buy a big barge as listed above.

A decent 164 2lt can be bought for pennies and will be reliable, Saabs and Volvos are incredibly comfortable.

Reply to
SteveH

Yep, there was an Auto Saab 9000 FTP 2.3 (full pressure turbo) for sale=20 in Liverpool in Loot last wek. MOT until November (might have been longer, going by memory), Tax until=20 August.

87k miles. Full service history, leather interior with electrically=20 adjusted seats with heat, electric mirrors, sunroof, climate control.=20 Metallic red paint.

Anyone care to guess how much within =A3100 of the asking. I would have snapped it up myself had it been a manual. I just prefer=20 driving them.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

The message from "Mike P from the North" contains these words:

And you can pick up big Audis cheap, too.

Guy King

Far too many miles and not enough power for my liking.

But, yes, in general, I'd agree.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

whaddyer mean "Too many miles"? It's done less than a quarter of a million. Hardly run in yet.

Reply to
Guy King

I always think they are a big ugly and boring. But if you want something big, cheap, do starship mileage, hold loads and not be a Saab/Volvo/Carlton, It'll do for me Flower.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar