Advice sought on the purchase of a good second-hand vehicle.

I'm hoping that the more experienced on this group can kindly offer me some advice.

I've been self-employed since 1988, my first vehicle was a mark two Astra petrol estate, it did almost 180,000 miles with virtually no mechanical problems whatsoever, apart from a single timing belt and a (£30) second hand distributor, however due to bodywork failure I was forced to dispose of it about four years ago.

I then replaced it with a tidy almost identical 1990 H-reg Mark two diesel estate, which has since completed over 25,000 trouble-free miles without the engine missing a beat.

I've recently had to close my business, and my wife is now adamant that she doesn't want us to drive around in an 'old banger' anymore, we have a one-off maximum of £3,500 to spend on a replacement.

So this is where I need some advice (as from now on we will have to start counting the pennies) having followed this newsgroup for several years, I couldn't help noticing a lot of complaints about some major and very expensive problems associated with many vehicles manufactured within the last few years (including Vauxhalls) this doesn't exactly leave me oozing with confidence about being able to choose the right make and model for the kind of economic and reliable motoring which we have hitherto enjoyed (I remember one mechanic on this group actually commenting that he, 'wouldn't buy anything made after 1998'!

Basically what we require is a medium-sized (preferably diesel) which like my old Astras will perform reliably, and if it does give trouble I won't have to remortgage the house to get it fixed, so what would be the general consensus on what would fit my needs, TIA...

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

OK, I'll start the ball rolling...

Ford Focus.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Another vauxhall? They're not sexy but they're usually well equipped, reliable, easy and cheap to repair with loads of second hand bits available if necessary.

Reply to
adder1969

You will struggle to buy a decent diesel focus for 3.5k, that isnt a rough TDi with near 100k on the clock.

Howabout a mint 306 Hdi?

Astra F DTI ?

Both reasonably low-tech mechanicals and not especially expensively troublesome.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from "Ivan" contains these words:

Oh dear. The neighbours' just had a new car, have they? My sympathies!

Reply to
Guy King

My next door neighbour has a petrol version on a 51 plate (which he appears to be quite pleased with) however only recently he's just forked out £250 to get the driver's side electric window fixed.

Reply to
Ivan

The petrol Focus is cracking, reliable (afew well known issues, but not overly expensive to solve) and very drive-way servicable.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Are Ford Focus diesels in my price range not up to it, and how much would I have to expect to pay to get a descent one?

I've never thought about going for a Japanese car, again because of some of the horror stories I've seen in this group about the price of even basic items, such as brake pads and exhausts, however I've read some excellent reviews on the Honda Concerto and its Rover equivalent.

Reply to
Ivan

So it's very nearly five years old. If this is the only expensive repair from new, I'd class that as pretty cheap motoring by today's standards.

I've had my (petrol) Focus for seven years and 82K miles. It was dealer-serviced for the first four years; since then I've done it. The total cost of replacement parts outside of service and wear and tear items has been around 45UKP. It has been totally reliable during that time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Don't get me wrong Chris, going by everything I've heard about the Focus I'm seriously gravitating in that direction.

Although as stated in my original post, I'm bound to say that I've been more than satisfied with the years of economic and virtually trouble free motoring I achieved with both of my old Astras, and all I'm looking for something a few years younger that will hopefully serve me just as well.

Reply to
Ivan

Indeed- I had a 200W 1.8 petrol Zetec bought at 9000miles. I sold it with

65k on it 5 years later. In that time it needed; 3 sets of tyres - Pirelli P6000's. Oil and filter every 5000miles. Ford servicing every 10k miles, as per the book. 1 set of front pads and discs at 50k. Fuel pump / gauge sender replacement at 18k - FOC- well known fault.

The biggest bill I had was 320quid for the 50k service, which included the brake work and the a/c recharged.

I would have needed an exhaust back box fairly soon if I had kept the car.

It never broke down and nothing stopped working or fell off.

I bought it for 10 grand in 2000, and sold it for 3700 in april 2006.

To me, this was *seriously* cheap motoring.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Then buy another one.

I bought one from the auctions for £2000 W reg Astra 1600 petrol estate with 100k on clock, last year for £2K.

As you say good for 180k. Drives like brand new, in fact its like driving a new one from out of the showroom.

I only bought it on the immaculate appearance and I did not know the mileage.

Air con does not work, but what the heck. I've never had air con or a sun roof only wind down windows.

Reply to
Anonymous

MkIV Golf TDI.

However, I'd also look a bit bigger - 'old' shape Passat TDIs are seriously cheap since all the fleet drivers have upgraded to a new Passat.

Reply to
SteveH