Aftermarker rear view mirrors

My mrs' (99) Fiesta never had a rear view mirror, when she bought it they (dealer) stuck a cheapo one in there. It's now fallen off, and we've tried replacing the sticky pad with a new one. No matter what, it falls off again withing a week or so! Might be better in the colder months now the car will be less of a greenhouse all day, however I would like a permanent fix. We've also tried the suction cup type, but the only ones we can find are in halfords and they are really cheap and nasty jobs, so light they just vibrate all the time.

I will quite happily get a genuine Ford mirror, but what I want to know is, I have to be doing something wrong when fixing the bloody thing to the windscreen - what could it be!

Mark

Reply to
Krycek

clean the screen well and finish with something that completely evaporates like contact cleaner or brake cleaner, apply the black side of the pad to the mirror (new mirrors come with a pad) carefully press the green side to the screen, best applied on a warm day when the screen won't get damp from your breath. finger prints on the glass or the sticky bit are a bad idea. Mostly the pads last at least 3 or 4 years before coming off again. They do also make special superglue based kits to glue the mirror on, but be careful how you use them, I would avoid them. The original soft pad is the best way and the safest (breaks off if you hit it with your head)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I heard that some windscreen fitting agents can do a good job of fitting a mirror. Worth asking.

Reply to
John

Clean the window with methalated spirits to degrease it then buy the correct adhesive (sticky pads are a waste of time) this can either be a two pack adhesive or high strength double sided tape adhesive (not carpet tape)

3Ms do a very good range of adhesives but they are not cheap .

Fix the mirror when its warm inside the car , first thing in the morning or last thing at night and its likely to be to cold for a correct bond

Reply to
steve robinson

Thanks to all for advice!

Reply to