Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

Threaded View
I read somewhere advising on buying second hand cars that air bags are
supposed to be replaced every 10-15 years and most people dont realize
this. Do they have to be replaced? This is going to become more
relevant as cars who first had airbags fitted will become more and
more common that are this old.

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

Originally on the instructions it said change at 10 years, this got
extended for many (& as they're all made by the same few companies you can
generalise for yourself) to 15 years. AFAIK there's nothing published
about what happens to them after that.

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

I guess the issue is that if they need replacing (perhaps more due to
MOT legislation than customers desire to replace them) then it's going
to cost more than most 10yr old cars are worth.

I know you can't get a car through it's MOT with the ABS light on, so
perhaps this is only an issue if the airbag light is on.  Of course many
people will just remove the bulb and hope the tester doesn't notice it's
not working on start up.

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

The bulb doesn't come on due to age anyway.

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

Air bags are not included in the MOT test.

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

I think he means the fact that all the telltale lights come on with
ignition, as a bulb test only.

--
Ken Davidson
DocDelete

---
Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

My understanding was that the ABS light merely had to work as specified -
ie to warn you that the ABS wasn't working. As long as the brakes dyno OK
then it was still a pass? Or did my Mondeo go through MoT's when it
shouldnt have?

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

Ditto my XM

--
Malc

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

I'm sure that if the vehicle has ABS, it must function. :-/

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???
DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Yup, if the ABS light doesn't do it's self test or does come on with the
car running, then it's a fail.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_340.htm

Seems daft, since a car with ABS turned off is just as "safe" as a car
without ABS fitted, but...

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

Yes, it does, assuming everything else works, a car with broken ABS is as
safe* as a car without ABS - this is on the assumption that the load
adjusting funky things in the brake lines are included in the car with ABS,
and I can't believe that they'd not be included.

*Course, it's usually not how well the brakes work, but how intelligently
and quickly they're applied. :)

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???
DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Of course - but if the proportioning was vastly different, then the whole
brake balance would be different, which would cause - erm - "issues" before
the brakes locked.

I used to have a Citroen Mehari that'd been rechassised onto a normal 2cv
chassis - minus the load proportioning valve for the back brakes. The arse
of a Mehari weighs 2/3 of sod all. If somebody pulled out in front of you
on a wet roundabout... <EEEEEK> - let's just say that the vision out the
plastic sidescreens wasn't great. Especially when that was the direction
you were heading.

Hence the quote marks around the word "safe"...

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???
a rant as follows

Heh, Fiesta Courier vans tend to be like that, especially when unladen.

--
Pete M

Mercedes 260E
Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

I have had a Rover 25 for the past year, and ive just bought a brand new
one. In both the owner handbooks, it states that all SRS (Supplementary
Restraint System) components, including Airbags and seat-belt pre-tentioners
must be replaced. It goes on to say that this must be carried out by a Rover
dealer, as the undeployed airbags must be deployed and disposed of in a
controlled environment.

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:12:36 -0000, Steven Elliott

They say that about everything though. Presumably under the recycling
directive they have to dispose of them if you retuen them to them :-)

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

must be carried out by a Rover

They say that about oil and coolant etc. Doesn't stop me from doing my own
services though

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???

Purely because the gas cannister *could* leak. In practice, however,
the airbag *should* last the life of the car.

sPoniX

Re: Air bags need to be replaced every 10-15 years???
from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (sPoNiX) contains these words:

There isn't a "gas canister". It's a lump of sodium azide which when
detonated decomposes to release nitrogen.

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

Haha! That reminded me of the time (drunken :) when I said to an engineering
mate that, as a chemist, I could make the azide propellant if he came up
with a sensor (blu-tacked somewhere to the front bumper) and a bag that we
could bungee to the steering wheel - then sell them in Halfords for a
tenner - "bosh, bosh, bosh; last you a lifetime, Guv"

Steveski
--
We are Pentium
Division is futile

my supra says on the sunvisor that the airbag systems needs replacing after
10 years then checking or replacing (not sure) every two years thereafter.

Sounds frightfully expensive that. Most of the other supra owners don't even
know about it 'cause that writing is in Japanese on their (jap import) cars.

Site Timeline