air leaks in inlet tract

Hi i have a persistent fault with a Citroen cx 2.5turbo 2. The fault is just like an air leak causing too weak a mixture. I have tried the wd40 trick, but still cant find the leak. I have heard that you can pressurise the inlet to check it holds pressure....how do you do this in practise?

cheers

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

Have you checked the air intake concertina pipe, the one that comes directly before the throttle body ???

This pipe has a habit of cracking right down in the route of the folds, you will have to remove it to inspect it properly, it only takes 2 mins and a screwdriver.

I dont see how you could pressure check the manifold without removing it and making some blanks for the 4 inlet pipes.

Regards Slim.

Reply to
Slim

You could always remove the camshaft, so the inlet valves are shut.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Not very quickly on the CX !!!

It would be a dam sight quicker to make some blanks.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

With extreme boredom, you have to block off all the vacuum connections & the exhaust. Ultrasonic leak detectors are handy if you know any refrigeration engineers, or an unlit blowtorch on minmum & some extreme care works well.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes i have had the thing off and checked it. If i hover my ear close to the inlets, over the top of the motor, i can hear a hissing noise but i have sprayed wd40 over the area and it doesn't make any difference to the engine speed or note.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

R.P.McMurphy ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Common problem on CX25s.

The concertina between AFM and plenum cracks. Have a good look over it, flexing it as you go, and you'll see it.

Reply to
Adrian

M Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Engine out, strip it all down...

You could just slacken all the tappets right off, though.

Reply to
Adrian