Airbag MOT question

Are airbags a testable item?

Reason for asking is a friend has a car with airbags and there is a sticker on the inside of the door pillar which says "Replace airbags Dec 2003".

The car is due in for an MOT tomorrow. Will they fail it? Should we remove the sticker?

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

S P O N I X ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's nothing shown on

's online version of the tester's manual - so no fail.

I *thought* that the airbag light would trigger a fail, but even that doesn't seem to be mentioned.

They're down for replacement after ten years, but I really can't see that happening - they're going to cost more to replace than the car's worth in a lot of cases, even assuming they're going to be available.

I wonder if insurance companies will use it as a get-out from paying for serious injuries/deaths - "Well, if you'd maintained your car properly, you wouldn't have suffered that, as the airbag would have deployed/deployed better"?

Reply to
Adrian

Last time I spoke to an MOT tester, airbag lights/airbag systems are not covered by the MOT test.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

It's not covered by the MOT. Also it may not even be an issue, VAG have a service bulletin that extends the airbag replacement to 15 years rather than 10

Reply to
Duncan Wood