Airbag warning light

The airbag warning light has come on in my '04-reg A3.

Is this likely to be a) an actual problem with the airbag b) an actual problem with the seat-belt pre-tensioner c) something mundane.

Is it likely to be expensive? The car is due to be changed, and I was hoping to do this through a private sale rather than PX (after the crap offer I got last weekend for PX) so wanted to get it serviced & MOTd prior to advertising it.

If it's likely to be expensive, then I might just bite the bullet and see if I can PX it as is.

Reply to
CT

Get the codes read, that will give you an idea of the problem, it may just need a reset. Airbag light on is not an mot failure. Yes, it may well be an expensive thing to fix, but it might just be a bad connection or a wire pulled off. many people would just disable the light, that is up to your conscience.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The often quoted cause is the connectors under the front seats, that go to the pre-tensioners. It would be worth disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so, before playing about with them though. I had a similar problem with my Rover, which turned out to be the rotary connector behind the steering wheel.

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message , CT writes

How long is a piece of string?

First thing you need to do is get the fault code read, it might have been a temporary glitch or it could be much more. I'd make a small wager it's a dodgy cable or connector.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Ah, I did move the driver's seat quite a way back the other day, which doesn't happen very often, so maybe a connector for the seat-belt pre-tensioner has gone AWOL (he said hopefully!).

Cheers.

Reply to
CT

Indeed. Which is why I'm asking you lot who may have more experience of these things!

Reply to
CT

Yup, that happened to my laguna.

Reply to
Adrian C

My mother's Saab developed an intermittent airbag light fault when wiring under the passenger seat was disrupted by stuff being packed under it and the seat being moved rather unceremoniously, breaking a wire or 2.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Experience dictates that you need to read the codes or you won't know which connecter to go hunting. YOu can get VAG code readers/resetters on Ebay fairly cheaply or just buy Vag-Com for the easy life/ lets you fix everything else. (Yesterdays A4 airbag was an intermittent memory check fault internal to the controller so by the time you've played with all the connecters you'd probably create more faults).

Having said that the odds are you've bumped the pretensioner lead.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Proably the wirng loom/connector to the drivers seat, but you need a code read to check.

Reply to
Chris Bartram