Aircon. Anyone changed a compressor?

Right folks, following one of our gobshite drivers writing off the better of our two Towncar limousines, I've been given the oh so glorious task of getting the other one back on the road..

But the Aircon compressor is utterly fubar, to the extent that there's sparks actually coming out of the a/c clutch! This is not good, and the amount of drag that the compressor is putting on the serpentine belt is likely to knacker the belt in a matter of seconds. Can't switch the a/c off, nothing is that simple when it comes to limousines. The AC is automatically switched on when the power for the rear compartment is switched on. There is no "off" switch for the rear AC, and it's too bloody hot in there without it.

So, I've ordered a new compressor and drier.

Now I just need to fit it.

The mechanical part looks rather simple, so if anyone knows, correct me if I'm wrong,....

First thing to do is press in the schroeder valve to "reclaim" the freon. Of course I will be using proper ac reclaiming equipment and not just venting it to air ;-) Honest guv..

Then it's just unscrew the hoses, unplug the electrical connectors, remove the pump and drier. fit the new ones, connect it all up, take it to AC people and get it vac'd, dye tested, and recharged.

Is it really that simple?

Oh, by the way, I know R134 is dangerous etc.

Reply to
Pete M

automatically

Sounds about right. Not exactly high tech with the right equipment. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

sounds like the way to do it but make sure you put new seals into the pipes where they meet the compressor they'll only be pennies but may save you a few quid later

automatically

Reply to
dojj

automatically

Pull the connector appart for the mag clutch- least u'll be able to start the engine and move the car around.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

automatically

but the belt will still be driving it won't it? unless he can remove the belt (which won't necessitate the need to fiddle with anything else :) )

Reply to
dojj

dojj ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, but the compressor itself won't be turning - just the pulley.

I'm taking close note of this thread, since the compressor on the XM's very rumbly when the aircon's on, and I have a spare (known quiet) spare compressor sat here....

Reply to
Adrian

In news:ca2klf$g3s$ snipped-for-privacy@news5.svr.pol.co.uk, dojj decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Nope, can't be done. Bloody serpentine job... besides, the sparks coming from the clutch / pulley area aren't pretty...

Reply to
Pete M

In news:ca2g6c$cq8$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Tim (Remove NOSPAM. decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Can move the car provided the power isn't on in the rear compartment. It just can't be used as a limousine... it's hopeless in the back without the lights / telly / dvd / stereo etc, and a bit too hot without the AC..

Reply to
Pete M

Sorry i cant help you .. maybe i just have info for you to get best seller product update rate and prize product here http://j.gs/3HF0

Reply to